Monday, December 23, 2013

What can I do in 2014?



I have so many passions, and so little time.  I’ve always been this way.  I recall my mom joking that when I was younger I wanted to be a Geologist-Astronomer-Choreographer.  That, for the most part, sums up my ambitiousness still today!  So, if money were no object; if I didn’t have to work, what would I do with my time?  That’s easy. 
I’d continue to volunteer, but would likely add a couple more volunteer activities to my schedule. 
 
Currently, my main volunteer positions include work that I do for the International WAGR Syndrome Association, and work that I do for our church.  For both groups, I manage the Facebook pages.  Then for the IWSA, I continue to try and create awareness of WAGR/11p Deletion Syndrome via other social networks like Twitter and Pintrest.  I’m also responsible for our church’s website, and have, this fall, started to coordinate the electronic newsletter for the IWSA.  

The “fun” thing about most of my volunteer activities is that they all seem to coordinate so well together!  Most of them have to do with writing/creating/marketing.  Most of them are manageable from the comfort of my own home; able to be accomplished in comfy clothes with coffee by my side.

If money were no object, though, I’d get out of the house.  Way, way, way out of the house.  I’d attend conferences so I could network with more people in the rare disease community, and learn more about rare disease research and the future of medications and treatments.  If money were no object, I’d go on mission trips and spend time helping in impoverished communities.  And, if money were no object, I’d attend more caucuses and public hearings at the capitol and continue to practice my disability advocacy.  

Looking at these items on my list of “to-do’s” makes me think, “New Year’s is just around the corner.”  I know money IS an object, but couldn’t I make a commitment to myself to maybe volunteer at an outreach event in Madison, or take some extra time to call a few more state representatives regarding disability issues?  Could I intensify my resolve and set a few goals for how to be the hands and feet of God?  I’m fairly certain that I could, that I can, and that I will.  

If money were no object for you, what would you do?  Is there a way you can still do that even though money is an object?   Can you find a creative way to get one step closer to achieving that goal or satisfying that desire?

No comments:

Post a Comment