Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Not Even Nakedness... Guest Blogging Day

 
Image "Two Affectionate Babies" Courtesy of Victor Habbick/freedigitalphotos.net

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?  
Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?  
Romans 8:35 NIV

The last time MOST of us want to see a picture of ourselves naked is when we're around the age of those two babies above.  There are many of us who don't even like wearing a swimming suit in public, and who can't stand going to the doctor to be poked and prodded while wearing a thin cotton (or paper) gown.  I personally find that some of my most terrifying nightmares are the ones where SOMEHOW I wind up naked.  (Don't leave me hanging...please, tell me I'm not alone.)

So, one of the things I fear most for my daughter is her loss of modesty or dignity.  She has honestly had to be naked in front of her doctors for a decade.  We have a hard time teaching her that there are now times when it is NOT OKAY to just whip your shirt up, or walk out of the bathroom with your pants down to your ankles.  As adorable as she may be, she will be a young lady very, very soon, and her naivete about nudity terrifies me.

Our daughter rarely has slept over at a friend's house; part of that is HER anxiety, and, admittedly, part of that is MINE.  She has rarely dressed herself successfully .  She has trouble with hygiene in the bathroom.  When she has dressed herself, usually something is backwards or inside out.  How do I send her to someone else's house and hope for her to maintain her dignity?

No comments:

Post a Comment