Sunday, March 22, 2020

Communion ~ A Celebration in our Solitude, Solidarity, and Savior

Photo credit: Dadion Gomez

Last night our church held an on-line service. I will be honest, I have so many mixed emotions about the fact that we have been told by our government not to gather. 

  • I feel relief because it allows me (a long proclaimed hypochondriac and highly anxious individual) to stay "safe" in my home. 
  • I feel frustrated that I can't see our loving church family and friends as we look forward to doing every week.
  • I feel perplexed at how we seem to have lost our right to gather and worship freely in a democratic society. (Please, this is not a political post, just an honest one about my mix of emotions). 

So, last night, when we gathered as a family in front of our TV and streamed our worship service on-line, I was excited that our pastors had told us to prepare our own Communion elements before hand. Cool, breaking bread with the two most important people in my life...my husband and my daughter.

And, as Pastor Alex began speaking during our time of Communion, I instantly thought of how it was for the early church, and how it IS in SO MANY places around the globe...where Christians are persecuted for their beliefs and where they take Communion together despite the risk of imprisonment, torture and death.
Tears were streaming down my cheeks as I held the bread and juice tightly and I felt throughout my soul the deep longing to be taking the elements of Communion IN my church building WITH my church family. But we couldn't. We absolutely couldn't, and that was a feeling I had never experienced before. 
The persecution of Christianity still goes on every day too. It's not just "in the days of Nero" or in some distant past that we see depicted in etchings on cave walls. It is really happening now, every day, around the world. We see this is confirmed in recent studies, for example:
While alarming, the British study is not surprising. It affirms 10 years of Pew Research showing increasing governmental restrictions on religious activity worldwide. The latest Pew report indicated that Christian groups were harassed in 144 nations in 2016, up from 128 the year before, with China leading the world in government-sponsored restrictions on religious exercise. Muslims were second most targeted, persecuted in 142 countries. ~ Journal Review, 12/6/2019 
This is why I'm praying Psalm 91 daily for our family, for our community, and for our world. This virus is not "just a virus." This virus is the just one more attack from our real enemy. My husband and I were watching the second movie in the Hunger Games, and there was a line "Remember who the real enemy is."

So true.

The "real enemy" is not the person hoarding toilet paper, nor the person who makes the declaration that we need to close non-essential businesses. The "real enemy" is the opposer, Satan, who opposes freedom and wants us bound in slavery to him. He loves to see us separated from each other, he loves to see us bickering over who is at fault and who should have done what to prevent this from happening. Let's not give him a foothold with our anger and fear.

Let's celebrate our victory through our Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ. Let's celebrate that we can still break bread and still worship God. Let's pray for healing and peace and celebrate the victory we have over death in Jesus's victory over the grave.

God, have mercy over all the earth and all its inhabitants. We are a desperate people and we need your healing to be poured out upon us. You are God, Most High, and we humble ourselves before you and plead your wisdom, healing and peace cover us today. Amen.

He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High
Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.” Psalm 91: 1-2 NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment