Friday, March 20, 2020

Is This Our Year of Jubilee?



Father God, I praise You for the sunshine and I praise You for the rain. You are the Beginning and the End. No other God before You and none after You.
You are LORD of all Creation and You are LORD over all.
We continue to question and wonder and search for answers during this time of trial over our world. God, may we all earnestly seek YOU...for we are told in the book of Hebrews that we must believe in You and in earnestly seeking You we will see our reward.
So, what is Your word for me today? You bring the word JUBILEE.
I can hear the song in my head:
"Behold, He comes, riding on the clouds,
Shining like the sun, at the trumpet call,
Lift your voice, it's the year of jubilee,
Out of Zion's hill salvation comes." The Days of Elijah by Robin Mark
And what is that time, God? Jubilee is a time to show our faith in You, and rest in You, and allow our storehouses to be depleted as we live off of all the abundance and excess that You have provided us in years past.  

God, I have often marveled at the idea of the year of jubilee. I have often asked, "How can we get one of those?"

We live in a world of go, go, go, and busy-ness and excess and distractions. But now, God, now that has been stripped from many of us and we feel anxious and baffled and lost.

So, God, my prayer is for us to settle into our jubilee. My prayer is that we will see Your steadfast love and provision as we are required to "be still". Today, I turn off my TV and I turn to Your Book and I look for You and wonder at Your amazing character.

As I have learned, Father God, the year of jubilee was a time to celebrate and reclaim our personal liberty in the freedom we have found from our sinful character. We look to You and ask You to dig out our sinfulness and restore our hearts anew with the fruits of the Spirit.

I also have learned that the year of jubilee was a time to restore true prices on property. Oh, God, how we need this in our world. In particular I know we need more affordable housing in our very city and surrounding cities. Perhaps this is Your appointing for how this will be done. I do not know the answers, but suddenly I see some clarity in the "reset". Because, what is OUR property? Does it not all come from You?

Finally, I see how the year of jubilee is a time to live the simple life. I'm starting to value things that I never held of value before. I'm saving that little bit of soap left in the bottom of the container. I'm snacking less because I don't know how long to make it last. I'm reusing the tin foil that I cover baking dishes with. God, I will praise You in this time of questions and uncertainty for I know You work ALL things for the good of those who love You. Romans 8:28

God, do all things line up and point to this quarantine as being the year of jubilee? Probably not. But is this where You are turning my eyes today? Yes. You have reminded me through song, and Word that at a point in time in our world's history, they took an ENTIRE YEAR off from sowing and reaping to REST in You.

Would this have been our choice had we not been forced into this? No. Did any of us see it coming and were we all prepared? No. Let us learn from this. Let us see that our security lies not in our cars, nor our homes, nor our money. We have no guarantees in this life. No one true thing other than You, God.

Have mercy on us today. May today be another giant LEAP forward in the solution to this crisis. Give wisdom and strength to those serving in our medical, scientific, political and emergency-driven industries. We need these people strong and healthy and wise and level-headed, and we need Your healing and provision.

In the Name of Jesus, I pray. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment